History the seaport of Taganrog
Sea Port of Taganrog was reached by Peter the first in 1698 as a military tower, which was join the complex of the first Russian fortresses and other defensive structures of southern Russia. Built at the beginning of the 18th century to protect the borders and access to the Azov and Black Seas, it was a very impressive military force. Taganrog harbor was an irregular quadrangle with an area of water surface of 774 thousand square meters. meters, in front of the harbor in the sea towered Turtle Island. It was the first artificial port in the history of Russia on the open sea coast. As economic life developed in the Territory, Taganrog, while retaining its military significance, turned into a center of craft and trade.
Over time, the military tasks of the fortified city have changed. Unfortunately, after the victory of Turkey on the Prut River in Moldova, Russia was forced to conclude a peace under which Taganrog was to be destroyed. For more than 50 years, the Taganrog harbor, fortress and city lay in ruins. The restoration of Taganrog became possible only during the Russo-Turkish war of 1768-1774, which opened up a real opportunity for Russia to become a Black Sea power. In 1776, customs was established in the Taganrog port, and soon foreign merchant ships began to arrive here.
After the annexation of Crimea to Russia, the status of the city changed, and by decree of Catherine II of February 10, 1784, Taganrog was ordered not to count the fortress anymore, but to turn it into a trading city, but retain a military garrison in it. Over the next decades, Taganrog from a ruined fortress turned into one of the largest ports in the Azov-Black Sea basin. The time has come for the rapid development of trade and the emergence of industry. The city flourished most vividly during the reign of Emperor Alexander I, and by 1825 its population was already 9,717 people. The development of the city contributed to the growth of trade. In the second half of the XVIII century Taganrog turned into the most important commercial center of Russia, trade was conducted with many countries of the world and 16 states had their permanent missions here. Taganrog firmly held the position of the main southern port of the Russian Empire, surpassing Odessa in terms of cargo turnover. In 1904, the port's cargo turnover exceeded 1 million tons.
The 1917 revolution negatively affected the port of Taganrog, which lost its international significance and switched to servicing domestic cargo lines. The port of Taganrog received its next revival in 1991, when the previously unified transport system collapsed with the collapse of the USSR. The largest southern ports departed to Ukraine and Georgia. In this situation, Taganrog was reopened to call foreign ships. The long period of its isolation from the outside world ended. Today Taganrog successfully revives the glory of the southern trading gates of Russia. The port is almost completely focused on foreign economic operations with various types of cargo.